Re: [OM] The Adobe tax

Subject: Re: [OM] The Adobe tax
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 20:41:07 -0700
On 7/5/2014 12:36 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
As a stock photographer you need that catalog, I don't.  And if you think LR
can now do almost as much as PS you certainly don't make much use of PS
function.  The two are night and day apart.
I certainly disagree. There is more than one way to slice the "Layer"
cake. So much of how we work in Photoshop is a result of the type of
tools available to us there.

There's that "we" and "us" stuff again. Leave me out of that group, please.

Lightroom packages up the same end results with different types of tools.

Here, I most strenuously object. That may be true for you and your "we/us" buddies. It is far, far from true for me. As for the millions happily turning out endless images with halos long dark edges ...

More seriously, it's clearly an excellent product. If what it can do effectively meets anyone's needs, great. There are those for whom it is insufficient to realize the desired end results.

However, there are things like
photo merging and compositing which aren't directly supported in
Lightroom. That's OK, though, because that's not an issue of just
making adjustments to a single photo, but coming up with a photo
creation.

It takes seconds in Lightroom to do what it takes minutes in Photoshop
to do.

Aw, c'mon. The vast majority of LR function is just a different front end for ACR, with all the same settings and sliders. All of that is as easily and quickly available in ACR when one opens a Raw file in PS. I'll admit I'm only able to comment as far as a finished image file and web version. If Bob says the print engine is superior, I take his word for it.

Yes, indeed, the ACR dark on white 'look' is dated, and the light on dark 'look' of LR, and the many similar looking converter/editors may look cooler to many, but the function is identical. I do prefer a dark background when working on images, but am in ACR so briefly that it doesn't much matter.

Not only that, but you can apply the same or slightly different
adjustment to hundreds or even thousands of photos where Photoshop
requires a one-by-one barge load of work.

HUH????? ACR/PS have batch capabilities. They even work, whether you and your "we/us" coterie may not know how to use them. Ever use "Droplets?"

Me Disagree Moose