Re: [OM] The Adobe tax - Ken

Subject: Re: [OM] The Adobe tax - Ken
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:26:23 +0200

Le 9 juil. 14 à 15:59, Ken Norton a écrit :

If you do keywording on individual files I agree.
Yet, I practise keywording in batches on upload, which takes circa 30sec for
32GB worth of files :-)

I'm starting to keyword on import with both Picasa and LR. Honestly, I
think that Picasa is a better DAM than Lightroom due to the image
recognition algorithms built-in.

Like Chuck, I maintain a directory structure based on date and naming.
I modeled it after my physical folders in my file cabinets. It's a
pretty simple thing to find whatever I'm looking for as long as it
made it back into the files in the right manner. A primary reason for
using this style of directory structure is that it remains a software
agnostic approach and I can mix and match software or drop the CC
subscription if/when I want.

You guys seem to have more time than I have on my hands :-(

The DNG conversion traps me, very true. But certainly not the way LR "physically" archives my files.
Look here:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Playground/Image+3.png.html

But here again, we are not answering the original question about the develop module :-)

Let me repeat it again, I have no stakes in the company.
I'm just sharing honest feedback from experience :-)
I know some of LR limitations, no fear about that :-)

Yes, it has some limitations. But it is remarkably complete and
advanced. The weakest link remains the ACR engine. It is a very good
converter for most camera files, but you will find that for any one
given type of file, there is a better converter available. I most
certainly wouldn't call ACR the "best" converter available. "Most
popular" doesn't mean "best". McDonalds is the "most popular"
restaurant.

Did I ever write anything that might be construed like this? Best is a word I always have to look up in a dictionary ;-)
I never want the best, I want what suits me, popular or not.
And I am not fully satisfied with the LR fuji mix.
So I might be back to another camera brand, or RAW converter ;-)

Amities

No hard feelings Philippe

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx

One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.
NO ARCHIVE