Re: [OM] T32 for Macro--question

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 for Macro--question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 12:03:13 -0400
Holy smokes!! I can see that I didn't look at this closely enough. What you've shown is that the auto mode has 3 maximum power ranges each (nominally) one stop apart. Minimum power occurs where the auto range selector is pushed fully to the left or, the same as ISO 100 at f/4.

I think I've just had dumb luck doing fill flash in the past since I was getting reasonable exposures without understanding what I was doing. I finally decided to test the thing with a flash meter.

I was really confused when I first started off because it looked like I was getting a fixed light output from each setting that was 3/4 stop apart. Then I realized that I was shooting from about 10 feet and what I was measuring with the meter was the maximum flash output available at that setting. As I moved closer to the flash the measured aperture required got higher and higher and was generally converging on the flash's recommended aperture for that ISO setting. Eventually, it went about a stop beyond the recommended aperture which I attribute to a relatively high ambient light level and/or maybe too close to quench.

I'm going to have to rethink my fill flash completely. I may have to go back to fully manual. :-)

Dr. (confused) Flash