[OM] DxO sale

Subject: [OM] DxO sale
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 23:50:21 -0400 (EDT)
FSM writes:
In my long ago test, DxO's deconvolution specifically developed for
each lens couldn't beat Focus Magic on the lens I tried, and a couple of my most used lenses didn't have DxO profiles.

That test was interesting but not exactly what might determine DXO Optics Pro (DOP) utility in your workflow, IMO anyway. Several versions ago they recognized the elephant in the room and instead of having to save a 16 bit tiff to disk then open it in PS, you can just do what you need to do in DOP and export directly--quick. Also you used the default slider positions--asking alot of defaults. With lenses that have weaker areas, the deconvolution used gently can even up the performance and then use FM in PS in a layer(s) as you do for fine tuning---FM and DOP are not mutually exclusive. Also you are not bound by the geometric correction metadata and can pick how much to torture pixels and change FOV. I had meant to do several different conversions with a few of Marnie's Catalonia images last weekend with ACR/DOP with comparisons but the limited image processing time was inadvertently consumed by the B'fly shots. I still don't have the color handling figured totally with GM-1 shots and DOP. Oh, the highlight treatment improved with the 9 version ago as well, but not quite up to ACR. Somewhere along the way the microcontrast adjustment changed and the radius seems to have been reduced to similar 50 pixel radius one is accustomed to using with LCE in PS--one can save that for later in PS anyway if desired.

I may have to buy with  very little testing - or not.

I truly do think it time to reevaluate--perhaps a couple images that need the corners sharp with a lens that also has a bunch of aberrations. Would just use DOP or ACR as the front end and do your skillful final processing in PS for both. No mad rush really--the sales seem to be more frequent than the Canyon lens rebate times. One can be guaranteed there will be another in just a bit.

Mike