Re: [OM] IMG: Volunteer Gladiola

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Volunteer Gladiola
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 16:34:27 -0700
On 7/13/2014 6:26 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
You took the words right out of my mouth.

:-)

I found it a bit difficult to look at since my eyes want to see focus in the nearest petal... where it isn't. But bringing focus forward will only aggravate the shallow depth of field and leave more of the back out of focus.

I would prefer that. FM does work magic sometimes, but putting the focal plane
in the right place is still best.

Next time try f/5.6 vs. f/4. That will be even more critical if a modest size print is made vs this very small web image.

I'd say f/8 or even f/11, focused further forward, but not on the front, so as to use the full DOF. Diffraction softening from f/11 is both no issue for this size image and generally recoverable in FM.

Depth of Moose