Re: [OM] Stand-Alone Photo Processing Software

Subject: Re: [OM] Stand-Alone Photo Processing Software
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:32:23 -0500
> What I cannot comment on is PW
> Pro's raw file conversion.  I never used it in the past since I shot only
> JPEG in those days.  That could be critical to me since I now depend so
> heavily on ACR.

It uses the DCRAW engine. Therefore, it supports every conceivable
camera format. This converter is very "literal" and extracts the raw
data pretty much exactly as it is stored. Unfortunately, that means
that the color profiling is pretty much off. YMMV, but I rarely use it
as a result.

> I haven't upgraded my own copy of PW Pro since version 4.0.  It's now at
> version 7.0 so must have a lot of new function I've never seen.  I see that
> I can still upgrade from PW Pro 4.0 for about $46.

Highly recommended that you upgrade. There are many subtle changes, as
well as a few major changes.

> Either one of us can download the latest version and give it a try for free
> for 30 days.  I think I may do just that to check it out and maybe you
> should do the same.  Ken will no doubt be along shortly to tell you it's the
> cat's meow.

It purrs, but is just one of several good tools out there. I would say
that the sharpening engine is superior to anything Adobe has ever
dreamed of. I'd also say the same thing about resizing, but Adobe has
certainly done some magic with the latest version of Lightroom.

> While supposedly easier to use than PhotoShop the PW Pro user's manual is
> still 538 pages long (which doesn't include special documentation files
> available for in-depth tutorials on some subjects)

I think that most of the manual deals with masks.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx