Re: [OM] Honduras Report

Subject: Re: [OM] Honduras Report
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:40:09 -0500
> Hey! Watch who you’re calling an old-timer! When I started on the police beat
> as a cub reporter, I was issued a camera, told which settings to use, and
> further instructed always to get a couple of set shots that included the
> whole scene before getting all artsy. This offended my sensibilities until I
> missed a decent set shot and had nothing but closeups for the editor to
> choose from. My brain still rattles in my head when I think of it. <g>

Oh, so you also failed to do the safety technique of backing out of
the scene shooting wider as you leave? Set shots going in, set shots
going out.

Doesn't matter any more. Newspapers and television stations won't show
anything but police lights flashing and the bumper of a firetruck.

Case in point. A few days ago, there was a Beech Bonanza that landed
gear-up. CNN was doing wall-to-wall live coverage of it. Except for
the landing itself. They cut away to a prerecorded segment. Why? Just
in case it crashed and burned. Way to crash and burn yourself CNN.

Let's have more political stories, and whip people up in a frenzy over
the Biebs egging his neighbor's house, but heaven forbid that you
actually report the news.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx