Re: [OM] Dr. Flash learns a thing or two... on auto flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Dr. Flash learns a thing or two... on auto flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 19:12:44 -0400
It took me three readings to understand this. I think it's because Ken has run two unrelated sentences together. The first part was: "...you've got to be very careful [while] heading outdoors from inside because your ISO is going to be quite different between inside and out.." True but unrelated to the second part which says:

"It works because no DSLR does mid-exposure light measurement. By the time the first curtain opens, the shutter speed and aperture are baked in. This means that the flash can do its thing without fooling the camera." It simply says that, unlike OMs with their OTF TTL, no existing DSLR can decide to change the exposure after the first curtain has opened. Thus the flash's behavior is simplified too by not having to second guess the camera.

Chuck Norcutt