Re: [OM] IMG: Well Protected

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Well Protected
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 21:57:45 -0700
The weapons are the SAR (Short Assault Rifle--what most USAians would call
a carbine) version of the Israeli "Galil" weapon system. From what I can
see in the photo, the weapon you are holding has the fire selector in
"Safe" (long lever on the side above the trigger is fully up, at "S" mark).
The gentleman with the glasses, however, is holding a weapon that is
selected for "Automatic" (lever on the side is half-way down, at "A" mark).
Lever all the way down would be for semi-automatic (marked "R" for
"Repeat").

I wouldn't have felt safe. Handing an "un-safed" weapon over for a
photo-op, especially to untrained civilians who have no idea if those
magazines are loaded, is a Real Bad Idea. An accidental firing of the
weapon held by the doctor would have emptied the magazine somewhere between
about 3 to about 4 and a half seconds, depending whether the magazine
installed is the 35 or the 50 round capacity. I doubt he could have
controlled its direction under those circumstances.

---
Scott