Re: [OM] I need to repair two EM-5 cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] I need to repair two EM-5 cameras
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:05:42 -0500
> Sorry for the delay with my response. Yeah, Olympus never replied back so I
> decided to fix it by myself. I bought Loctite gel glue, I decided to use
> this one just in case I had to reposition the dial. Everything worked
> flawlessly! I have to say that since the OM4Ti camera, all Olympus cameras
> I had latter gave me problems. I love E-M5 but manufacturing quality sucks!

The one huge exception to this statement would be the E-1. Those have
a poor repair record because so few ever needed to be repaired to get
a record!

The classic OM system wasn't without faults. My OM-2S had to be
overhauled a couple of times. An OM-4 had the dreaded
flying-shutter-string. The OM-10 and a couple variants were disasters.
But generally speaking, I think you are correct. The OM system was
certainly robust. Nikon F(2,3,4,5) were tougher and more robust in
many ways, but they also required the occasional tire rotation and
spark plug replacement.

Today's cameras aren't meant for maintenance and longevity. They're
built just good enogh to survive long enough to take you to the next
"new shiny".

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx