Re: [OM] IMG: Aymara Shepherd/Condor Dance

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Aymara Shepherd/Condor Dance
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 10:23:14 -0500
> BTW, I just replaced the IEEE 1394 chip on my Nikon 4000ED, it worked for
> more than two weeks now and seems rather stable. It has the same fault as
> the 5000ED (flare and focus issue) but in some areas it is better than my
> Epson 4870 and 5D II especially in handling negatives.

I finally was able to get NikonScan to work on my Windows-7 machine
this last week. Yeah team! Glad to actually have accomplished that
major task.

I find that for color negatives, NikonScan does a whole lot better
(most of the time) than VueScan. But for B&W negatives, it's a tough
call. Both scan so differently from each other, and what works well
for one film type is a disaster for the other film type.

The Nikon Scanner flare problem is certainly starting to rise up
again. It's time to do another cleaning. That'll cost me an afternoon,
but it's worth the effort. Focusing is certainly another issue,
especially with slides that have been projected. Projected slides have
a lot of curvature to them caused by heating up. (I've run into this
problem with some enlarged negatives). You can get the middle in
focus, but the edges are gone.

NikonScan still gets frame alignment (strips of negatives) better than
VueScan, but the multipass aspect of Vuescan really helps with grain
aliasing. NikonScan gives me B&W scans that look sand. VueScan muddles
the grain more. Very similar to the difference between using a
condensor enlarger versus a diffusion enlarger. The tonalities are
different, though.

It's nice when the sharpness comes out. I was working on one image
taken in Colorado using Fuji 100SS. The landscape photos showed a
forest of trees about a mile away. The branches of the pine trees were
obcured by the film grain. Essentially, what happened is that the lens
sharpness exceeded the ability of the film grain to capture the
detail. Or said another way, the lens was sharper than the FILM and
SCANNER technology. In the darkroom, the image wll retain sharpness
and with careful paper development, I should be able to achieve a
sharpening of the image to maximize what is there. I really dislike
the scan for tonality reasons, so I'm looking forward to spending time
in the darkroom with it.

Unfortunately, my next picture wasn't quite so sharp. :(

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx