[OM] Bigotry

Subject: [OM] Bigotry
From: "Bob Benson" <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 08:26:16 -0500
Ken said "Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands,

etc., have it all figured out and have no issues, but that's not true

everywhere."

Well, I don't know about that.  I've taught in a Dutch university for nearly
30 years now (3-4 times a year) and have many very good friends there.  To
my surprise, I find them quite rigid in views about non-Dutch folks,
especially "Moroccans" and Indonesians.  Quite rigid.  Over thirty years in
my classes (masters courses in technology management) I've never - never -
had a minority student.  Very few females as well.  Current events with
muslims in Holland have not been promising.

And . all my family came from Sweden.  A Swedish conservative has the
hardest head of anyone, especially about racial issues.

Sometimes I think we get confused about Scandinavian countries because they
are so homogeneous, which makes them seem so rational and humanistic simply
because they haven't had to deal much with multi-racial issues.   Check out
on Sweden is dealing with Turkish immigrants, or how Holland is dealing with
"Moroccan" immigrants.   I don't believe they have it figured out.