Re: [OM] Astrophotography

Subject: Re: [OM] Astrophotography
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 15:28:10 -0500
On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looks pretty good to me.  Better than anything I ever did with a
> telescope.  The upper left of your image seems to show a bit of rotation so
> maybe you need to move the camera more frequently.  I guess I need to study
> how this is done.  I don't understand the need for so many "dark images" or
> the very large number of light frames for that matter.
>
> As to hyperfocal distance for 100mm on 4/3 sensor
> f/2.8 about 700 feet
> f/5.6 about 300 feet
>
> You can cut those distances in half for use on small images like a 4x5
> print or web images.

Thanks, Chuck.

I'm not sure about the number of dark frames - just going by what my friend
suggested. I'm going to do some more research into the mechanics of the
process.  The guys that are really serious also shoot a series of what are
called "Flat frames" and one other type as well.  Not sure what all of them
are.

I think the series of 10 frames will go much faster with the cable release,
so maybe less movement.  I may end up having to build some sort of
equatorial thingamajig.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie