Re: [OM] (OM) OT Image processing

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Image processing
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:54:10 -0400
Using PhotoShop I would first expand the "canvas size" of the image. So, starting with a 6x18" image I would expand the canvas size to 12x18. The command for expanding canvas size allows for expanding equally all around or directing the expansion all to one of the four sides or some split between them. Here you expand all either upward or downward. You can control the color of the expanded area and for this task I generally choose white for visibility to make the next step easier.

The next step would be to switch to the second (6x18) image and use the "move tool" and drag the image from its own window onto the newly expanded image. This will add a layer to the expanded image and you slide the new image around until it's properly aligned over the empty white space you just created by expanding the canvas size. Then flatten the image which means to meld the layers together. The result will be a single 12x18 image split equally top and bottom between the two input images.

Unfortunately, I don't believe you can do this with FastStone. I'm sure you can do it with PW Pro which used different terminology. At least my old version doesn't recognize "canvas size" but does know about expanding the "margins" around the image. But from there I no loner remember how you'd go about blending the two images. Corel PaintShop Pro also uses the term "canvas size" (even though it's not used in the help file). I don't know the details of how to do it but since it also uses layers like PhotoShop I have to assume you do it in a very similar way.

Olympus viewer seems to be very hobbled as far as editing goes so I don't think there's any help there.

No doubt there's some other freebie out there that will do this but I don't know what it is or how to do it.

One caution I would mention is the treatment of "bleed". When you make a commercial print or even print something on your inkjet there is a "bleed" of about 1/8" all around. When I make my own prints I size the images 1/4" larger in length and width to account for the bleed so they don't resize the image and mess with my sharpening. If I was printing 6x18 images I'd actually size them as 6-1/4"x18-1/4". If you print the images as a single image all of the vertical bleed will be on the top of the top image and the bottom of the bottom image. You may not care about that at all but might want to think about what it means for some specific images.

If you're anxious to just try a sample print or two before you figure out how to do this for yourself I'll be happy to make the combined images for you and send them back. It should only take me 5 or 10 minutes.

Chuck Norcutt