[OM] PhotoShop and PhotoShop CC version numbers

Subject: [OM] PhotoShop and PhotoShop CC version numbers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:46:15 -0400
Maybe all you you who subscribe to PhotoShop CC already understand this but I didn't and pass it along here. Following is from this morning's Tim Grey PhotoShop newsletter

Chuck Norcutt
Today's Question

In your Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter [on Tuesday, July 29th] you discussed Focus Area selection. I have Photoshop CC 14.2.1 and my PS shows "up to date". But under Select there is no Focus Area showing, even in gray. Any idea why I don't have the Select > Focus Area?

Tim's Answer:

You do indeed have the latest version of Photoshop CC, but that is not the latest version of Photoshop. It seems there is a bit of confusion related to Adobe's latest updates for applications included in the Creative Cloud subscription.

The initial release of Adobe's Creative Cloud applications were referenced as the "CC" version of the application, without any other version number indication. This is similar to the "CS" version of applications when Adobe launched the Creative Suite.

Just as the Creative Suite version of applications reflected a new version with a number appended to the "CS", such as "CS2", the Creative Cloud applications have now received an updated version number of sorts. The only difference is that this new version numbering approach involves a year rather than a version number.

So, while you have the latest version of Photoshop CC, you don't have the latest version of Photoshop CC 2014. Or, more to the point, you have not yet installed the 2014 release of Photoshop CC.

Admittedly this change is a little confusing in the context of a Creative Cloud subscription. Up to this point, to update your Photoshop CC installation you would simply update via the Creative Cloud application. When you did so, your existing Photoshop CC installation would be updated to the latest version.

Now, with the 2014 release, instead of a simple update you will have a completely new version of Photoshop installed alongside your prior version. So, for example, you will end up with a 2014 release of Photoshop CC along with the previous version of Photoshop CC. Once you have successfully installed and configured the 2014 release of Photoshop CC, you can uninstall the prior version of Photoshop CC.

And once you do install Photoshop CC (2014) you will have full access to all of the latest features, including the Focus Area selection command that is new with this latest release of Photoshop.