Re: [OM] (OM) Divertimento

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Divertimento
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:29:01 -0700
On 7/30/2014 6:08 AM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Chuck wrote

Very nicely composed but at least one stop overexposed. If you shot this in raw
you can probably recover much of it.

Well ... I don't believe Brian has any Raw converters all that capable of highlight recovery. And as I recall, the E-3 doesn't have as much recoverable as many other cameras, including the E-3. But there is still some!

  /////////////////////

Well typically, I didn't.

Stubborn? Lazy? Cheap?

Did not see any need for it.

No need to make that decision in the field. Simply shoot Raw all the time. If you don't want to get JPEGs via Oly Viewer, shoot Raw plus JPEG. It really doesn't cost anything, as you may erase those you don't need.

As it was, i was taking a group of tired
people home from Queenstown airport an hour from home, in cold
conditions ( not long before I had stopped the car to take photos of
snow), I saw this view looking more photo-worthy than I had seen it for
quite a while. Previous efforts have been disappointing.

And were you to always shoot Raw, no thought would have been necessary.

So here are some comparison shots ( I have re-arranged the order of the images
in
the gallery so the old URL probably will not work).

Sharpened,
contrast increased ( as I remember) and the red punched up a little to
emphasise the presence of the wild roses and their red hips ( fruit) in
this hostile landscape. This is the modification published on fuzzbook.
It got great comments, perhaps also because I entitled it "Red on Grey".
In my opinion it is more print-worthy than any other mod I have done.

And yet, more is possible.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Red_on_Grey2.htm>

People often like things that aren't strictly properly exposed. Perhaps the glare/flare across the top of the rock is appealing to some people.

A version of the photo I put on fuzzbook, unmodified

An ummodified exposure taken at the same general time. Who would want to
look at this dull thing?

Who indeed! <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Red_on_Grey.htm>

Note how much good detail was hidden in the shadows. At least when at low ISOs, shooting to retain highlights, as here, generally results in a more balanced image, after proper processing. Exposure Compensation can be your friend with skies.

I'd be interested to see what Chuck would prefer it looked like, so that I can
get on the same page as he is.

I imagine the alternates above might be in his ballpark.

I should note that I don't like pure white skies. Even on a seemingly evenly overcast day, there are subtle variations, and I think shades of gray look more natural. The shades here are not imported, but uncompressed from the top of the JPEG histogram.

Shades of Moose