Re: [OM] "Fourth" of July b'fly count

Subject: Re: [OM] "Fourth" of July b'fly count
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 20:09:07 -0400 (EDT)

Thaks for looking and commenting Paul, Chuck and Don.

Yes, a sad number of Monarchs so far in our area as well. Hopefully they will recover somewhat yet.

Achieving optimal DOF with a smooth background with fast enough shutter speed can be tricky unless the critters are perched on something where a more distanct background is present. The longer FL helps but often requires faster shutter speed and the T32 on auto isn't useful above ISO of 100. I may need a different longer FL rig.

On another note Dean has some gorgeous shots of the splendid Regal Fritillary--not seen anywhere near New England since about 1991. there was an attempt to reintroduce it, but the effort flopped.

Certified Critter Chaser, Mike