[OM] The virtues of RAW (was: Divertimento)

Subject: [OM] The virtues of RAW (was: Divertimento)
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 07:01:21 +0200
This is just ridiculous. You should go back to film if you are not prepared to
have an adequately sized computer for 2014 requirements.

I have an image with proof, from my very first month of shooting digitial, 10
years ago:

http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_31alt1.jpg

This is with a Canon 10D, my first digital camera. Due to lack of knowledge,
and for “convenience”, I was shooting JPG.
After posting this among my PAWs for week 31 in 2004, I decided (based on some
suggestions) that it would be better in B&W. But when I went to convert it,
ugly artifacts appeared. No matter what I did, I just could not get a decent
B&W conversion. I was using Photoshop at the time (don’t remember the version,
but it was the current one at the time). I finally gave up on the B&W but since
that experience, I have never bothered shooting JPG. RAW only for me.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain