Re: [OM] The virtues of RAW

Subject: Re: [OM] The virtues of RAW
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 11:20:26 +0800
Thanks, Chuck!
C.H.Ling

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Nice job on the recovery and it blends well with the rest of the image.

Chuck Norcutt

On 8/1/2014 8:20 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
To me, in practical terms, the advantage of shooting RAW is easy white
balance adjustment, it keep the original shooting color that I may not
want it as final output. Such as late evening scenes where I want
partial color correction but also want to know how the original should
look.

Camera JPEG is not the only final output, it can be adjusted to a large
extend. It does not like the poorly processed JPEG you sometimes seen
from the state of the art RAW converters where both shadow and highlight
were seriously clipped.

Here is an 2001 E-10 JPEG shot, resized only:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P1210365s.jpg

Here is one with shadow recover (layer used):

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P1210365sa.jpg

As for the others like focus error, it can't be recovered even with RAW.

C.H.Ling