Re: [OM] Yikes !!! [was IMG: Alpaca Farmers, 2]

Subject: Re: [OM] Yikes !!! [was IMG: Alpaca Farmers, 2]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 09:01:03 -0400
I think you're both wrong. While the 81 series filters definitely filter blue they are designed to filter the visible part of the blue spectrum as evidenced by the fact that both 81A and 81C have a 1/3 stop effect on exposure. They are designed for warming daylight pictures. Whatever is done by an 81 series filter is fully within the capability of color balancing your digital images.

True UV and haze filters filter only the UV portion of the spectrum and consequently have no filter factor. Even the Tiffen UV haze 2A filter which purports to block 100% of UV has a 0 filter factor. There's a rather bewildering array of UV/Haze filter designations (some of which differ by manufacturer) and the only way I know to sort them out is to read the spec sheet. Not all of the manufacturers give the specs at B&H but Tiffen bares all.

But, as a result of this discussion, if I ever get to high altitudes again I'll be sure to get myself a UV haze 2A before I go.

Chuck Norcutt