Re: [OM] OT new TV advice

Subject: Re: [OM] OT new TV advice
From: Siddiq Siddiqui-Ali <muhammad.siddiqui-ali@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 19:17:14 +0000
Mike;

If you're willing to replace the existing CRT with another CRT (for dirt cheap,
I might add), look at the Sony KD34-XBR960. It's a 34" CRT, 16:9, completely
flat screen, and yes HD (1080i; CRTs won't do progressive, obviously). Once you
tweak the settings, the image is nothing short of spectacular. It's a heavy
beast (95Kg/200Lbs). You should be able to find it on craiglist for less than
100$ in pristine condition (mine was being sold by a guy who's wife wanted a
flatscreen mounted on the wall because their kids would keep running to the CRT
on it's stand). It's what I did since I can't afford what I really want
(Panasonic ZT series) and that technology is changing too fast. Might as well
wait a little more.

The 960 series was the *last* HD tube TV made by Sony, and universally praised
for reference quality image even through the Pioneer Kuro Elite days. People
who watch mine can't believe it when they see it. Only has one HDMI connection,
which is fine for me. Plug in a Chromecast or Roku and you're set, or if you
want Blu-Ray, you can get a 2-input/1-output HDMI selector for cheap from
Monoprice.

If you have anything specific you'd like to know about it, holler at me!
(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10102032852693764&set=a.10102032852529094.1073741825.6313229&type=3&theater)

Siddiq