[OM] IMGs: More Storm Damage

Subject: [OM] IMGs: More Storm Damage
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 08:16:03 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     We seem to be getting about one strong storm a week resulting in damage
from microbursts and macrobursts.  This latest one struck on Sunday evening,
less than a mile from me.  The area of significant damage was approximately 1.5
miles long and 0.5 miles wide.  Some of the worst damage was to the southeast
of me, where a series of four high voltage utility poles were snapped off and
deposited in the street, dropping power lines on a depressed freeway and
turning it into a parking lot for the rest of the night:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14657920307/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14657842468/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14657844078/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14844460015/

     This 80-foot tall Eucalyptus tree lost the battle with the microburst,
being blown over and deposited on top of the local credit union office:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14842014764/

     It took two days to carefully cut it up and remove the pieces so as to not
further damage the roof and walls.

     There was more than one microburst in this storm, possibly three or more.
A second strong one a mile to the north ripped off the roof of an entire group
of light industry buildings, one of which was a veterinary hospital and another
a small recording studio.  The damage was significant and the building may
eventually be demolished.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson