Re: [OM] OT new TV advice

Subject: Re: [OM] OT new TV advice
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 17:32:26 -0500
> I finally got rid of my 100 pounder CRT 2 years ago.  I had to call my
> brother-in-law and his son for help in getting it out the door to his truck
> to take to the junk yard.  No matter how good the picture I don't think it
> could be any better than my 42" Panasonic HDTV.  It has 4 HDMI ports
> including an audio return channel so the TV can feed audio back to the
> receiver.  It's no flyweight but I can at least move it by myself. A 200
> pounder would be out of the question for me.

I'm not too proud to say that we are the proud owners of one of those
expensive 100 pounder CRTs that somebody replaced with a $2000 HDTV.
Works perfectly for us and it didn't cost us a dime. However, we did
spend $10 for the stand from somebody else. Oh, and a chiropractor
adjustment.

The reality is that by the time you get back into a normal viewing
distance, you can't really tell the difference in resolution and
sharpness anyway.

What most people don't understand is that the hyper clean image
quality that we see with HDTV images from cable tv or satellite is
actually a result of having the video compression cranked up so high
that all the detail is erased.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx