Re: [OM] OT new TV advice

Subject: Re: [OM] OT new TV advice
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 11:37:15 +0200
I am still using mty 40" toshiba rear projection, I remember when I brought it to switzerland in 2000 people here couldn't believe their eyes, seeing such a large TV screen, now of course everyone has such a large or larger screen at home. Apart from removing the front screen a couple of times to remove the cobwebs, the first time I did it was because the spider kept walking around when I was trying to watch TV so I decided to have a go cleaning it, it was very dusty after 10+ years but the clean of lenses and mirror bought the colours back to life.

I purposely skipped the HD TV years and as soon as I can justify/afford it I will be buying a UHDTV probably the samsung F9080, I had read internet reports about it being no better than HDTV at normal vewing etc, but to my eyes that is rubbish, I can see its sharper and more 3D like (without glasses) a bit like the micro contrast of a really sharp lens, which will also last 20 years like the rear projection. I am concerned about the robustness of an lcd TV especially with Cai around but hopefully we can protect it enough.

BTW I have been posting some photos on Facebook but not here, this is not a list snub, I just don't have much time at the moment, haven't even been able to play properly with the new camper.

IanW