Re: [OM] IMG: Old radios (especially for Paul Braun)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Old radios (especially for Paul Braun)
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 08:19:06 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> My grandfather had a surplus Hallicrafters short wave receiver at his
>> house in Maine. I used to spend hours tucked in the corner with that thing.
>> (Surplus headphones as well.) The Boston Marine Operator was particularly
>> interesting. She/they were unflappable. Always a treat to get something
>> neat on a skip, such as something out of Australia.
>>
>> Listened to a lot of dits and dahs, comfortable in the absence of
>> knowledge that within a few years I would be intimate with such
>> communications methodologies, and able to undertake copying them while
>> being shot at. <g>
>>

>My first SW receiver was one of the transistorized portable units.  After I
>discovered the wonderful world of Heathkit, I built the SW-717 and used
>that for years.  I think I still have it on a shelf, although I'm not sure
>it works anymore.  In addition to my ham gear, I have a Yaesu FRG-7 that I
>inherited from my dad.  If my nephew ever shows an interest in radio, I'll
>set up an antenna for him and let him have it.

     My first SW receiver was a Heathkit GR-64, and I still have it.  Got my 10
and 25 countries certificates with it.  I was using it to listen to Radio
Prague the night that the Warsaw Pact overran the Check frontier.  I later
graduated to a Heathkit GR-78, which I also still have.  About 12 years ago I
came across a GR-54 and then an SB-310 (the SWBC version of the SB-301).  I
have the SB-310 in my lab room for listening when I'm tinkering.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson