Re: [OM] OT new TV advice

Subject: Re: [OM] OT new TV advice
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 07:04:38 +0800
For me the 4K UHDTV may need a normal viewing distance of 1x screen height to see the difference (from HDTV) but I have never seen 4K material at the moment. 3D feel require proper sharpness (not too much or too coarse) and contrast, the difference you see may be just the difference between a proper adjusted TV vs a poorer one.

BTW, I have seen too many out-of-focus shots on Hollywood movies with my 1080p projector, I don't need 4K to see them.

I could be one of the guy who never want or need a 4K TV but 4K video is starting to available to consumer grade camera and HDTV could be fade out in 5-10 years. I have a history to upgrade my TV every 5-6 years (it will be longer since I have retired :-)), I may be forced to upgarde my TV to 4K in next turn.

C.H.Ling

----- Original Message ----- From: "SwissPace" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I purposely skipped the HD TV years and as soon as I can justify/afford it I will be buying a UHDTV probably the samsung F9080, I had read internet reports about it being no better than HDTV at normal vewing etc, but to my eyes that is rubbish, I can see its sharper and more 3D like (without glasses) a bit like the micro contrast of a really sharp lens, which will also last 20 years like the rear projection. I am concerned about the robustness of an lcd TV especially with Cai around but hopefully we can protect it enough.

BTW I have been posting some photos on Facebook but not here, this is not a list snub, I just don't have much time at the moment, haven't even been able to play properly with the new camper.