[OM] Broken mac was Re: Somewhat OT: Computer Clock Management

Subject: [OM] Broken mac was Re: Somewhat OT: Computer Clock Management
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:31:59 +0200

I wasn't going to mention that NTP is built into mac osx (and linux) because of the labelling as a fanboy ;-) to counter that my 17" macbook pro has started playing up, pixellated screens, problems waking from sleep coloured stripes on screen etc.. which I am thinking is the graphic card but before I bin it I will swap the ram as thats easy to test. when its running fine it passes a diagnostic test suite so I suspect a dry joint somewhere. I foolishly leave it in the living room where the kids play so they could have done something when playing or it could just be due to manufacture, I don't want to move into the glare (windows or screen).

I will stay with osx too much software invested plus I actually like it compared to alternatives so the options as I see it are

1. get my old 2011 laptop repaired - it is likely that a mainboard swap will required is it worth it?

2. buy some other laptop and run hackintosh - possible but to be honest I like the portability/performance of the macbook pro's plus I don't really want the hassle of hackintosh

3. Buy a new macbook pro with glare screen Aargh!

The third option is the reason for the post , There is some stock left of the model that has just been replaced and wile I would look forward to the pixels I hate the non upgrade part and the glare screen of the newer macbooks. 1TB SSD and 16Gb ram should suffice I suppose (in my current system I have a 750GB SSD for os and files and a 750GB hybrid drive for photos) but while I welcome the extra pixels I don't relish the glary screen. I have heard moshi do an antiglare screen but proper web reviews are rare (as seem to be the trend these days) and youtbe videos don't really help, so is anyone on the list using such a screen protector and have any opinions on it.

Thanks in advance

The timing is bad as I really didn't want to have to replace my macbook this year and I love its 17" Hi Res (not retina) matt screen. On the plus side it got me searching and I discover that 4K monitors are getting affordable.

IanW