Re: [OM] Somewhat OT: Computer Clock Management

Subject: Re: [OM] Somewhat OT: Computer Clock Management
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 07:30:35 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I somehow doubt that a networked device will show you time that is accurate to
>the second, however
>accurate the network itself has to be.  There is surely too much latency in
>the system.

     Some time go I installed the shareware program TClockEx, which gives a
much better date and time display than is possible with the one that Microsoft
provides.  Every item in the display can be customised, and the seconds display
is right on the mark when compared with WWV, provided I set the clock to some
standard such as USNO or NIST.  My laptop gets ahead about 2-3 seconds per day.

>However, I do use "Atomic Clock" on my iPhone to keep my watches on time and
>that seems to agree with
>the "radio-controlled" clock at my bedside.  In turn my watches then agree
>with the timing beeps on the BBC.

     The TClockEx software precludes setting the clock with a remote standard
from the lower right toolbar, but I can do it by way of the "Date and Time" in
the Control Panel.  But, it only has two options for synchronisation standards
and then only once every 24 hours, so I need something that's more verbose
which can access more standards and adjusted as the URLs change.  There is
undoubtedly something such as that out there, just a matter of wading through
cyberland and finding it.  "Net Time" looks painfully familiar, and if it's
what I think it is then I will have found what I'm in need of.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson