Re: [OM] IMG: going back to 1983

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: going back to 1983
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:47:58 -0500
> Sometimes it's disappointing to go back in time.  The neighborhood in
> Chicago where we were living when I was born looks much nicer and cleaner
> than when my folks decided to leave.  However, the town in Southern
> Illinois where I grew up has changed a lot.

I get back to my old stomping grounds about once every two or three
years. The biggest thing I notice is how my memory of things is
tainted by the then familiarity. The old dilapidated shed surrounded
by four-foot tall weeds was my playground back then, but a sign of
neglect now.

However, what I really notice is how the old cottages on the lakes,
which the high-faluten people owned really do look old and rundown
now. Especially, when surrounded by new glass-and-brick 15000 sq foot
palaces that are popping up.

> Any time I have to go on campus now for something, I'm totally lost and end
> up in a parking lot a half-mile from wherever it is I need to be.

This is a common trait of most colleges and universities now. Parking
was always horrid, but they made it worse by taking away 2/3 of the
parking places altogether.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx