Re: [OM] Automatic aberration correction on new lenses.

Subject: Re: [OM] Automatic aberration correction on new lenses.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 11:03:04 -0500
>> Good candidate for a firmware upgrade. Anyone out there listening?
> Oh dear. One of these days I may hurt myself falling off my chair.

LOL, Unfortunately, history states that you'll get one or two early
fix updates that take care of the bugs that show up in the beta
releases that they never got done prior to the actual release, but
after that, it's curtains.

> There is zero incentive for Oly to do such an update. Hope for it on the
> E-M6. ;-)

Maybe. Maybe not. Granted, Olympus has been the least tone-deaf of all
the camera manufacturers, but I think the great lesson we've learned
over the past few years is that unless you actually see it with your
own eyes and hold it in your own hands, it doesn't exist, nor will it
ever exist. Ignore the "road maps" and other promises of grandour.
Ignore the past hype about how firmware updates and other unfulfilled
promises. Once a product has been released, the manufacturer has
totally moved onto something else and assigned a tiny team of people
to essentially assist the support department. They don't even support
the manufacturing department much because once a design is released to
fabrication, it's curtains for it unless a major design flaw shows up
which requires a mid-stream fix (like the bezel).

As the consumers, our responsibility is this: If you like the product
as-is, buy it. If not, don't. If you think that the manufacturer will
fix a firmware flaw and make it right, chances are that they won't. It
really is OK to not buy something. When you choose wisely and buy the
one product that has reached design maturity, you are less likely to
chase after the "new shiny".

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx