Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Insecurity

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Insecurity
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 13:09:35 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      I can't help but think that telemarketers are somehow able to listen
>>to what is going on inside your house by way of the telephone, calling you
>>when they hear a significant sound such as a door closing.  If this is the
>>case, how are they able to do this?  I've always thought that when the
>>handset is in the cradle the microphone is shorted.
>>
>>      BTW:  I have a hard-wired telephone set in addition to the wireless
>>ones.  If what I suspect is true, can I circumvent this by disconnecting
>>that phone?
>

>Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.
>
>Telemarketers have been able to profile household movement patterns
>very well. It only takes a half-dozen calls to establish very accurate
>occupancy patterns for a large percentage of households. Another
>factor is your cellphone. If you have a smart phone, your movements
>are being tracked and reported to the government and everybody willing
>to spend a few dollars with Google, Apple or Facebook.

     Well, I don't have a smart phone, and my movements in and out of the house
are not very regular.  This happens too often to just be a coincidence.  And I
don't have any sort of cable connection.  I took the Cox cable off the house
years ago and wrapped it around the utility pole in the alley.

     I'll experiment a bit.  I'll try entering the house quietly, wait a few
minutes, then make a loud noise.  If that works, I'll try disconnecting the
handset from the wired phone.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson