Re: [OM] How to photograph the eye

Subject: Re: [OM] How to photograph the eye
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 01:09:12 +1200

Chris Trask wrote

I have one of the LED-2 lights and there is a
switch on each side for >off-L-H for high and low light.>

Can you
determine if the light from them has the correct colour balance for
daylight? Photographing a dead white object and then viewing the
histogram should tell, even though they state that one is white and the
other "warm". This looks like a desirable accessory for wildflower
photography, and colour balance is a consideration.

no idea, but I
either shoot in raw, or set a custom wb, or both.

I'm tempted to get
one of these for flower photography as I'm often in need of a very low
power flash for fill, and this is considerably less expensive than a
Canon 540. If I do, I'll try to do that colour spectrum test myself.

////////////////////////

In my opinion, the fact that at least some
of the little lights which have been shown in this discussion are to the
sides and angled across the subject probably means that much better 3D
visual modeling will be delivered than most other lighting systems.

As
I have observed, ring-flash systems deliver great light if you want a
coldly scientific result, but if you want an image which looks great,
and which picks out surface relief and models such things as the veins
on flower petals, side-lighting is what is needed. It crossed my mind
that if the two lights are of different strengths, this benefit would be
enhanced.

Front-on ring flash is the absolute pits for such
photography.

Brian