[OM] New! Shiny! (Featuring B&H's new shipping deal.)

Subject: [OM] New! Shiny! (Featuring B&H's new shipping deal.)
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:50:18 -0400 (EDT)
Three Legged Moose wrote:

This is the one I bought.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769662-REG/Velbon_UT_45L_UT_45L_6_

Section_Aluminum.html>

Looks good.

I also obtained a Velbon Maxi for travel just prior to joining the list--still use. I am not fully pleased with any of the choices. When on a horse trip, it is not wise to bring my Gitzo Ex with the cantilevering center column--GREAT for macro.
For OM/MFT my choice was:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/sirui-t-025x-travel-tripod-review/introduction.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917559-REG/sirui_bsrt025x_t_025x_carbon_fiber_tripod.html

I like the ability to weight it via a carabiner and remove the ctr column--can get to 10" or so min height. Moose choice doesn't do badly at 14". Sirui can work well (not if windy) with OM FF digital if weight it and not extending too far as well as ctr column removal. My choice of modification would be to make it about 20% heavier with ability to use a monopod and being able to cantilever the ctr column--stabilized by counter weight. None of the ones I've seen hit the Goldilocks zone for me but I needed something.

Too many legs, none quite right, Mike