Re: [OM] How to photograph the eye

Subject: Re: [OM] How to photograph the eye
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 18:32:12 -0400
At 8/15/2014 05:54 PM, I wrote:

>I have not followed the whole thread but if reflection is the issue
>then cross-polarization is the way I have dealt with it in the past.
>Namely the light source is polarized one way, and the lens polarizer
>is 90 degrees (cross) from that, which will eliminate reflections.
>The downside is that it reduces the light a lot so proper metering
>is important.

Just to explain the technique, reflected light retains its polarization.
But light that is absorbed and re-emitted become un-polarized.
Hence the cross polarization with reduce the reflected polarized
light, but preserve the emitted light from the subject.

You can buy 17x20 inch plastic sheets of polarizing. You can make
a hood for the light source with the plastic sheet covering the output
AND keeping this plastic as far from the source as possible, as the
sheet is easily damaged by too intense light.

I tried this once with the plastic over the flash head, worked once
but was toast after the third. There may be more robust filters that
can take the intense flash energy, but I have not found any, other
than quartz filters often used with lasers.

Wayne