Re: [OM] How to photograph the eye

Subject: Re: [OM] How to photograph the eye
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 15:45:12 -0700
On 8/15/2014 3:00 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
I have not followed the whole thread but if reflection is the issue then cross-polarization is the way I have dealt with it in the past. Namely the light source is polarized one way, and the lens polarizer is 90 degrees (cross) from that, which will eliminate reflections. The downside is that it reduces the light a lot so proper metering is important.
      Hmmmm....  I had not thought of that.  How do you go about polarizine the
light?  Obviously you use a polarizing filter at the source, but where do you
get one?

One fully thought out solution is the Oly T10 ring flash with Ring Cross Filter POL. The filter fits over lens and flash, polarized one way for one and the other for the other. <http://omesif.moosemystic.net/om-sif/flashphotogroup/t10.htm>

eSIF specifically mentions human eyes:

"With the aid of the optional Ring Cross Filter POL, existing of an outer polarizing filter (covering the flash surface),orientated at right angles to an inner polarizing filter (covering the camera lens), the ring flash reproduces glossy objects, minimizing undesirable directly reflected light (shells, human eyes, etc.)."

All in one, no extras needed. No TTL on digi, but chimping should get ya there.

That's why I suggested it earlier in this thread.

Polarizing Moose