Re: [OM] Now THIS is news!

Subject: Re: [OM] Now THIS is news!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 14:56:43 -0700
On 8/16/2014 1:41 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
That’s the point, though, Moose.  To be happy to use a 4/3 device you have to
be content with the smaller sensor.  For me the (slightly) bigger GRD would be
preferable, even though the GM1 is a delightful looking little machine.

Well, that's why I was so careful to qualify. Personally, I've had two APS-C cameras, 300D and 60D and the FF 5D. I've also had various smaller sensor compacts, mostly high end, with the "large for a compact" 1/1.7" sensor.

The 5D is/was a marvelous image maker I used for over five years as my primary camera. The 60D, with the same sensor system as the much praised 7D, just didn't work very well for me. Size and weight, articulated LCD with live view, etc. - in all those respects it was an improvement on the 5D. BUT, I wasn't getting enough images that made me really happy. AG was the one on the list who noticed this showed in my work; I wasn't producing as good images with it.

In my experience of taking many thousands of shots with these cameras, and now well over 10,000 with the E-M5, about 2,000 with GX7 & GM1 and spending endless hours with them in my digital darkroom, these latest µ4/3 cameras make as good or better images as their larger sensored predecessors. And as the ISO goes up the µ4/3 cameras get further ahead.

On the other end, I've got some quite good images from the G11 and S100, amazingly good for their sensor size in some cases. But they can't hold a candle to the GM1, which, with 12-32, is significantly smaller and lighter than the G11.

Obviously, I don't know just what the GR sensor system is capable of, and have neither the time nor interest to do detailed comparisons, but I imagine the difference to be quite small and only at the pixel level.

In the end, I also know I would just be frustrated and unhappy with a single, fixed, WA lens. I'd be back with the S100 somehow.

Focal Range Moose