Re: [OM] Bokeh and Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh and Lenses
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:04:03 -0500
> Don't trust every word he worte, the best way is to develope a good eye
> yourself, there is immediate feedback with digital camera. I really doubt
> about the accuracy of his rating, he should post rating with aperture used
> at least.

I would agree that MJ's analysis is weak on specifics and strong on
generalities. I personally find that most Leicas AND Zuikos seem to
have a strong point in Bokeh when the subject is at about two meters
distance. This plays in well with event, people and close-in street
photography. Once you start moving in closer than that, the optical
correction in the lenses starts to wreck havoc with the bokeh and some
Leicas will invert the blobs from balloons into donuts.

The classic OM Zuiko 50mm F1.4 lens has really nice bokeh when the
subject is very close, but at that two meter mark, the background can
turn nasty, but that's because of the Double-Gauss design. (Olympus
content for the list)

> BTW, besides the lens problem Chuck mentioned. The clarity slider on LR also
> has negative effect on bokeh, your image seems suffered from that too.

Ah, now you are mentioning the stuff that we aren't supposed to talk
about, because we all know that digital image manipulation is the
great equalizer which turns any turd of a photo into fine-art and
fine-art into a turd.

- The Clarity slider and LCE are both related. LCE (Local Contrast
Enhancement) uses an Unsharp Mask with many-pixel wide setting.

- Bokeh blur consists of a smooth gradient of tones across a linear dimension

- When an USM process is applied to a gradient, it turns the smooth
gradient into stair-steps or wave ripples.

- It's just the nature of the beast.

AG (blurry eyed) Schnozz