Re: [OM] Bokeh and Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh and Lenses
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 00:38:48 +0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

BTW, besides the lens problem Chuck mentioned. The clarity slider on LR also
has negative effect on bokeh, your image seems suffered from that too.

Ah, now you are mentioning the stuff that we aren't supposed to talk
about, because we all know that digital image manipulation is the
great equalizer which turns any turd of a photo into fine-art and
fine-art into a turd.

Yeah, I knew that ;-)

- The Clarity slider and LCE are both related. LCE (Local Contrast
Enhancement) uses an Unsharp Mask with many-pixel wide setting.

- Bokeh blur consists of a smooth gradient of tones across a linear dimension

- When an USM process is applied to a gradient, it turns the smooth
gradient into stair-steps or wave ripples.

- It's just the nature of the beast.

I like more transparent controls so I prefer USM instead of clarity; curve instead of brightness/contrast. You got better control on more parameters. PS technique is one thing but most important is able to judge good
and bad.

C.H.Ling