Re: [OM] Completely OT - Attention list hams

Subject: Re: [OM] Completely OT - Attention list hams
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 17:52:35 -0500
On 8/22/14 17:21 : , Ken Norton wrote:
Does anyone have a copy of the ARRL Handbook from 1977 through 1979?
I might have one buried in my book storage boxes. Might take me half a
weekend...

I assume you have a decent FYO keyer to go along with that?

BTW, a little fun trivia for you. Take a look at who now has Joseph
Hills' call sign. Between he and one of his brothers, they likely have
the largest collection of keys in the country. LOL, Most of his
brothers have decent collections of keys.

Hmmm.  It's a guy named Norton.

Take your time. I need to brush up on code a LOT before I'm ready to go back on CW. However, I have a really nice Brown Brothers BTL-A that I've had since I was in high school - it's still in excellent shape. Only modification was to re-mount it on a 1-inch-thick, 4-inch-dia steel puck that a friend of mine milled out for me. You have to whack that thing around enough to break it before it will move.

I do have an old Western Union Vibroplex, but that's for show. I never got the hang of a bug - was raised on the Brown Bros. paddle and an electronic keyer. That's what my Elmer had, and I really got used to it. I also have a really antique telegraph key/sounder set on the shelf as well.

If the torrential rains hold off this weekend, I hope to have the vertical all installed and tuned by Sunday night.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Berthold Auerbach