Re: [OM] Card Readers

Subject: Re: [OM] Card Readers
From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:32:50 -0400
FWIW (not much) - I've used the same three plug in readers for 8-to-10
years.
Just sayin'.

On Aug 24, 2014 7:29 AM, "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Why am I so lucky?  I've been shooting digital for 12 years and have
never had an electronic failure of a reader.  Maybe because I use mostly
internal readers?  Most of that experience has been with CF cards which
were read either on my Dell Win XP machine (CF/USB) or on a Dell laptop
where I used a CF adapter to its ExpressCard port.  Now that both computers
have been upgraded neither has a port for a CF card. But I'm using mostly
SD cards now and using the built-in SD/USB ports on my HP desktop and
Lenovo laptop Win 7 machines.  Several years ago I bought 3 multi-card/USB
readers from ebay for $2 each which I used for reading CF cards when using
someone else's computer.  Two of these have failed mechanically in the CF
slot due to bent pins due to poor design... the insertion slot isn't long
enough to keep the card properly aligned.  I'm now down to one CF reader so
I should probably buy a better designed spare.  But electronic or software
failure?  Never seen it.

> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 8/23/2014 8:52 PM, Bill Barber via olympus wrote:
>>
>> I had the same experience a couple of days ago. Three readers and none
>> would read the card and I finally hooked the camera up to the computer
and got
>> my images. Gee, I thought I was just being a dumb ass.  Could have
>> something to do with the alignment of the stars.  Bill Barber
>>

>> In a message dated 8/23/2014 5:01:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
>> tmanley@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>>
>> PESO:
>>
>> Do all card readers eventually quit working?  I  have at least 6 here,
>> ranging from the newest Transcend one to several  older Belkin ones.
None