Re: [OM] Thanks to C. H. Ling

Subject: Re: [OM] Thanks to C. H. Ling
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:54:48 +1200

Rick wrote:

I rediscovered the joy of the OM Macro...

I'd
forgotten what a joy it was on film cameras.

Can't believe I hadn't
tried it digitally.

Extended Senior Moment?

Anyway, this one and two
more on the TOPE.

Luna ////////////

Rick, I use macro quite a lot on my E-series
cameras.

The lenses I use include OM 50/3.5 macro, OM 135/4 and 80
macro, OM-fit Panagor 55/2.8 macro (amazingly long travel), OM-fit Sigma
90/2.8 macro (see this on TOPE with OM here in the Simplicity TOPE
http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=21&pic=18), OM 100/2 (not
really a macro, but it close-focusses to 70 cm which is close to macro
territory)

Not forgetting the inexpensive E-macro 35mm / whatever it
is digital auto lens which does a reasonable job. And of course any
combination of the 3-ring OM close-up tube set can be used.

Focussing
can be as much of a hassle as you make of it. With my OM cameras I use
the split-image screen which is wonderful for precise focussing. But the
E-series that I have do not have any such screen; so, with the camera on
tripod, it's a matter of using the lens initially wide open, finding the
best focus you can, then carefully move the focus zone back and forward
until you feel you can take a stab at what is the sharpest setting
trying to make allowance for the factthe the sharp zone will extend
further to the rear than to the front. Then carefully stop down to f/8,
f/11 or f/16 without upsetting the focus setting. I haven't, but must,
start using the exposure delay feature as I'm getting too may blurred
shots at 1/2 - 1/8 second in dim forest light.

I think all of these
except the 100/2 were used in this 27-exposure set (which also includes
some equipment shots taken with the 14-54 digital ( which also
close-focuses). Taken quite some months ago.

Spring this year
(now underway) won't yield such nice flowers as the crocuses have been
damaged by frost.

Brian