Re: [OM] Data Center going bye-bye

Subject: Re: [OM] Data Center going bye-bye
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:24:08 -0500
> Moving? Remodeling?

Getting kicked out. Tom Scales' old employer wants that space.

> All DC's look alike, what with the racks and cable looms and the sub-floor
> air conditioning...

Very few data centers are using raised flooring anymore and the
chillers or crackers are just doing major air exchange throughout the
whole room. However, for cabinets with high heat production, they'll
run a hot-air hood over it to feed back to the crackers.

We're still learning from the Hinsdale fire, but the fact is that the
concrete floor with cables overhead, combined with tall enough
ceilings is far superior to floor plenum cableways. Also, almost
everything now is AC power to the rack and DC only with rack-mount
inverters. That saves about 95% in power cabling. Fiber-optics have
also changed so much. Cabling to DSX panels replaced with thin fiber
cables running to FDPs.

Oh, and Chuck, I think this represents only about 25% of that room. It's huge!

41.915, -91.641

I was in a brand new DC on Friday, that is 100% plenum-free. Built to
amazing survival and security standards with multiple levels of
building isolation from wind, fire, riot and rain.

AG