Re: [OM] Data Center going bye-bye

Subject: Re: [OM] Data Center going bye-bye
From: Marc Lawrence <ozlangur@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:50:24 +1000
On 27 August 2014 13:59, Wayne Harridge <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> How about stupidity ?  A few months ago a quite important DC in Melbourne
> (Oz) was shut down abruptly when "somebody" decided to test the fire alarm
> -
> the fire alarm triggers immediate shutdown of the power, including the UPS
> supplied power.

At the Credit Union we had some Telstra techs in the computer room and one
backed into the emergency power cut-off switch. Fine (not really), that's
what the UPS was for. Except my supervisor saw the UPS light up and without
thinking hit the UPS bypass switch. The Ultimate and the retail banking
application didn't like losing power, and we were down for two days,
restoring. Management dealt with it by hiring a second supervisor - because
clearly the under-supervision of one staff member (me) was the problem.

Cheers,
Marc
Snowy Mts, Oz