Re: [OM] Bokeh and Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh and Lenses
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:47:45 +0000
Vignetting and shooting at a format larger than intended are sort of the
same thing. But I think in general it's more than just vignetting - not
all lenses will swirl.

Masking the front element has effects other than just vignetting - I would
think diffraction around the stop would come into play somehow too.
Probably other effects tooŠ

The nice thing about Waterhouse stops are the aperture is always fully
circular. ;-)

In the OM world, the 55/1.2 is the lens that will most closely resemble
the petzval thingy, due to odd bokeh and aberrations. I am not sure if it
will swirl, but it will definitely produce very funky bokeh wide open, and
with some glow.

re: LF Craze - well, soft-focus has been a craze for a while now, and
granted the population is a lot smaller, but the supply of suitable lenses
(the real magic-bullet types, e.g. Any of the big brass ones from
well-known names, Universal Heliar for example, etc.) is also
commensurately smaller, so the craze gets just as out of hand as with
other formats.

-Ed