Re: [OM] New Speedbooster Ultra with tantalum-based optical glass

Subject: Re: [OM] New Speedbooster Ultra with tantalum-based optical glass
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 08:58:37 -0500
> It is a matter of time. They started with the 'normal' EOS-NEX adapter...
> it even has bluetooth.

I am, again, involved in product development for a non-photography
related industry. We (collective non-descript humanoids not named
Moose) tend to be a little pithy about these things where we are
putting technology into items of seemingly benign character. But what
has happened is that the old analog components have become impossible
to source and we're forced into a microprocessor-based technology to
adapt. While there are distinct advantages to going with new
technology, the old technology had reached such a state of
near-perfection, that it is nearly impossible to match it, much less
improve upon it.

So, the main advantage to the new technology isn't the "improvement",
but the feature add. Since it's "only software", we can add features
till the cows come home. Of course, that means that the device has to
be upgradeable. So, we're stuffing in some incredible features. It's
way cool to see what can be done over a wireless connection to dozens
of little three inch long devices 200 feet away.

No revelations as to even the industry, but it's stuff that is
anywhere from five to 10 years out from ever hitting the market.

AG