[OM] Completely OT, but damn, am I excited

Subject: [OM] Completely OT, but damn, am I excited
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 22:52:54 -0500
This is really for those you you who are hams. I got the Hustler 4BTV installed, got all of the cabling done, the lightning arrestors installed. I got one radial buried, a half-dozen connected but coiled up by the base until the military-grade mosquitos die.

Tonight, I found instructions online to jog my memory on the exact procedure for tuning the finals on the 520s. Tuned around 40m for a while, came across the Hamnation podcast after-show net (I listen to Hamnation every week). The net control, Dale from Kansas, was coming in loud and clear, so I thought, "what the heck?"

Dumped it into the dummy load, tuned up, hopped on the antenna, dropped down about 10 and did a final tweak. Hmmm. Getting a hair under 1.5:1 with things the way they are.

Grabbed the mic when he called for first-time checkins, keyed up, and called. He came back to me! You have no idea how excited I am. I felt pretty much like I did back when I made my first phone contact back in 1979.

Just to underscore the significance of this - this is the first HF contact I have made since I left my tower and the farm and graduated from college in 1984.

Time to hit the books and upgrade from General to Extra.

We now return you to your normal camera talk, already in progress.

73 -

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Berthold Auerbach