Re: [OM] Old 75-150 or 60-120mm on m43?

Subject: Re: [OM] Old 75-150 or 60-120mm on m43?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 20:40:09 -0400
On 9/2/2014 10:25 AM, Sandy Harris wrote:
Several makers had 75-150 lenses; in particular the Nikon f3.5 gets
good comments; Adorama or KEH prices $70-110. Tokina had a 60-10 2.8.
Prices on that are all over; Ebay shows an AE1 with the lens selling
recently for $29 but the only vendor actually offering one when I
checked was asking $450!

In theory at least, these look like rather a good choice. Decent
quality, moderate cost, constant fairly fast aperture and an
interesting zoom range. Used with a speed booster they'd be remarkably
fast.

I notice that Moose has or had the Tokina:
http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Mona/

I do still have it. It is an excellent lens, as I hope the set above shows.

And I'd be willing to sell it. As you say, price is hard to find from sales. It's in EX condition, with original hood. I'm open to offers.

Has anyone tried these on m43? Any comments? Anyone want to sell one?

I haven't. I could, if you want a test when I'm home.

I'm a not remarkably skilled photographer interested mainly in
lightweight travel system on a tight budget.

I'm slightly bemused at the idea of using these old lenses in a 'lightweight' travel system. All of the lenses mentioned are from the age of brass, and neither particularly small nor light. Constant aperture means a first element large enough for the f4 - f2.8 speed at the long end.

Then, adding a speed booster adds size, weight and cost. My personal choice for light, compact travel kit is to use µ4/3 lenses. The lesser ones are quite inexpensive, optically good and the size and weight are a revelation.

If a viewfinder isn't an absolute requirement, the Oly E-PM2 or E-PL5 are small, light, can be had inexpensively and can make wonderful images. With the E-PL7 announced, the 5s should get cheaper from Oly and/or Cameta.

I think you may be over estimating the importance of lens speed with these cameras. F2.8 constant aperture just isn't necessary for the use you propose. The high ISO performance of more recent µ4/3 bodies is amazing, if you haven't used such beasties. Fast is only for getting shallower DOF or existing darkness.

My personal light travel kit is a Panny GM1 with its kit 12-32 lens and a Panny 45-150 (for the lens IS). The whole thing, with CU lens or tube fits in two tiny belt pouches or one very small waist or shoulder bag. This little travel gallery was all shot with GM1/12-32. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=13977>

Camera I want is E-M10
but a used G3 might be the best I can afford. Looking at current
offerings I'd be most likely to get the GX7 bundle with 20 1.7 because
I want both that lens & in-body stabilisation. I'm waiting for some
funds to come in, hoping prices on some models will drop after
Photokina.

I'm pretty impressed with the GX7, and use it extensively. Looks like new ones are about gone. <http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2014/09/another-one-bites-the-dust.html>

I don't use the 20/1.7 as much as I thought I might; although it was pretty handy in an un-illuminated cave (really!) I did use the 45/1.8 yesterday to get some different shutter speeds and DOF for running water in a heavily shaded creek, but mostly 'cause I have it.

The E-M10 does look like a good inexpensive travel camera. Depending on how you pack and carry, the under appreciated 14-150 is a good one lens solution. 14-42 and 40-150 is a good, inexpensive combo. I prefer the 12-50 to the 14-42, as I don't have to extend it, it goes wider and includes good macro without carrying an additional lens/tube.

Travelin' Moose