Re: [OM] OT: Biblical Phlooding in Phoenix

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Biblical Phlooding in Phoenix
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 16:28:06 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>That's a lot of water for your area.  I remember tropical storm Bob
>(later a Hurricane) when it passed over my house in Florida in July 1985
>(I had just moved in).  It dropped 12.5 inches at my house in 12 hours.
>  It dropped 20.5 inches at Everglades City further south.  The next day
>(at my house at least) you could hardly tell we'd had that kind of
>rainfall.  Living on sand piled on porous limestone helps take the water
>away.

     The late afternoon local social programs have been set aside to instead
cover the aftermath of this mess.  One family who had their house ruined a
couple of weeks ago had their household items in a mobile mini in their
driveway.  This storm picked up that mini, moved it to a lower area, then
filled it with muddy water.  Everything inside is a total loss.

     A couple of residential communities are being evacuated.  The flooding
overwhelmed the underground power distribution vaults and the power company
cannot turn the power off completely until the water is drained and they can
enter the vaults.  With so much standing water everywhere, this may take a few
days to resolve.

     Just saw some news helicopter footage showing a large residential area of
almost a square mile under three feet or more of water.  Just wait until this
hits the insurance companies.  The homeowners will be furious when they learn
that they probably have zero flood coverage.  A federal emergency declaration
would help here.

     The Arizona Cardinals (aka Marginals) have their season home opener
tonight, and I would like to see the NFL/ESPN allow it to be broadcast locally
as a public service.  Not that the Marginals are really worth wasting time on,
but it would let people watch the game at home while this mess is being cleaned
up.

     Lots of kayaks and canoes being used either for recreation or to get to
homes.  I have no problem with that as long as they don't get in the way.  Good
time to practice Eskimo rolls in the catchment basins.  Most schools were
cancelled so the kids are playing "water football".

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson