Re: [OM] TPE - I guess this is old news ...

Subject: Re: [OM] TPE - I guess this is old news ...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 19:25:31 -0400
Of things to be afraid of as an infection vector, Flash is near the top of the list. However, it almost impossible to use the net without needing it at least some times. What I do for Firefox is go to "Tools -> Add-ons -> Shockwave Flash and set the option to "Ask to activate".

This will speed up your web usage somewhat since most users of Flash are obnoxious, animated ads. If Flash is turned off they can't run and don't use any CPU or bandwidth resources. But if there's something you really want to see that requires flash you can turn it on for that site either one time or always. I never turn it on except for one time usage. Who knows whether your trusted web site of today is infected tomorrow. I think the strategy minimizes your change of catching something from Flash. I think Adobe may finally be getting it under control as the update frequency for security bugs is getting less frequent... but still not exemplary.

Also see the control panel for Flash Player and check the settings there. I make sure not to allow Flash to control my web cam on the laptop. There may be other things you may want to disallow. What you change from the control panel goes for all web browsers, not just Firefox.

Chuck Norcutt