Re: [OM] How I did it: Editing the Elwoods neon sign photo

Subject: Re: [OM] How I did it: Editing the Elwoods neon sign photo
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 01:37:48 -0400
Piers,

Thanks for the info, I have not played around much with layer blend modes.
I tried what you told me using my original images, and it did give nearly
identical results. One thing your method revealed was the glow of the neon
on the front of the building overhang right under the sign. I neglected to
bring that into the final version of my photo, because I used an image
with the sign turned off for my building-exposure image.

The downside to your method was that it didn't bring down the lights on
the building, leaving them blown out.

My method is a lot more work, but offers more accurate control, while
yours is super easy and probably works perfect for 90% of images.

I ended up wanting that glow of light from the neon sign on the building,
so I took that part from the image processed your way and added it in a
layer above my version! Here's the final result:

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=1970

I haven't updated my tutorial, so you can see my original, without the
glow, on the tutorial page still:

http://crawfordphotoschool.com/digital/howitsdone/elwoods-neon.php

I learned something neat today..Thanks again :)

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook